Thursday, August 30, 2007

Adam’s Plaice Fishing Tips

Adam on catching plaice: all you need to know
As the finest fishermen of my generation, as well as a ladies man of no little repute, journalist, beer drinker, driver of fast cars, actor, artist, author, physicist, wit and bon viveur extraordinaire, I feel it my duty to pass on some tips as to how you, the little people, can catch plaice, that most noble and hard-to-fool of species. Indeed it has often been said that plaice are the most difficult to catch of all the fishes that swim the oceans blue, as well as the most rewarding.

Only an angler of dedication, skill and a noble mien may hope to succeed on a regular basis. But with my help even the common man may be able to catch the occasional specimen of pleuronectes platessa, as we biologists know them.

It was Isaac Walton himself who once said, “The plaice be the fearfullest of fishes.” He said this as he bought me a pint of foaming ale for outcatching him three fish to one for the third day running on his own boat. As I said to Dick Walker and Ivan Marks at the time “You’ve got a lot to learn from me, boys.”

And now I have graciously decided to pass on just a little of my vast and encyclopaedic knowledge on the subject of plaice fishing to you, my humble acolytes. So where shall I begin? What hope can I bring, like a St. Francis of Assisi of fishermen, to even such as you? What spark of inspiration can I pass on to

Those Adam plaice fishing tips in full…
  • Bag the best place on the boat from the start.
  • Refuse all requests to move, even by the merest fraction of an inch.
  • Use any and all illegal narcotic attractants to lure the fish to your hook rather than anyone else’s.
  • Whatever floating beads, spoons, exotic oils you use, keep it to yourself. Say you are using a size 8/0 with a wire trace and mackerel bait.
  • Cut off and throw over the side anyone else’s rig that looks vaguely competent or anything like yours.


0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008